These Sugar Cookie Bars are perfect for Mother’s Day! Plus, they’re super easy to make!
Hello, Renee of Two in the Kitchen here again with a great Mother’s Day treat everyone will love … Mint Sugar Cookie Bars! Sugar cookies are truly one of my favorite desserts of all time! There is just something nostalgic about biting into a sugar cookie that I find very comforting. It reminds me of rolling out the dough with my mother and picking out just the right cutter and then choosing pretty sprinkles to decorate them right before they went in the oven. And sugar cookies are simple and buttery and sweet and pretty. But honestly, though I love rolling out and cutting the cookies, I don’t always have the time. So sometimes it is nice to forego the rolling and cutting and just make them in bar form. That way I can get those yummy cookies in my mouth as quickly as possible!
But I still like to make them pretty. So here is the perfect solution in my opinion: I made the sugar cookies in bar form, and dotted them with melty mints. You know, the kind with the nonpareils that you buy from the bulk candy stores. These pretty pastel mints were always my favorite as a kid whenever I went to the candy store. So to mix my favorite childhood cookie with my favorite childhood candy just seemed completely natural. The sweet and soft butter cookie creates the perfect backdrop to showcase the pretty pastel mints both in flavor, texture and visual appeal. I think the soft pastel colors of the mints make a perfect spring treat. The mint flavor is mild and the crunch of the nonpareils work perfectly with the soft dough of the cookies. And because these are so easy to make (you can mix them in one bowl in about 10 minutes) kids can easily whip up a pan as a pretty sweet treat for mom on her special day! Dad might have to give a little helping hand if the kids are small. Obviously these treats would be good any time of the year, but I think the pretty pink, yellow and green pastels are the perfect colors to celebrate Mom on her special day, don’t you!?!
So moms as your little ones are trying to come up with their ideas about how to pamper you this Mother’s Day, you may want to start dropping some hints about how much you’d appreciate a pretty sweet treat baked by sweet little hands. And the best part of course will be that you will all get to indulge together in these pretty Melty Mint Sugar Cookie Bars on your special day!
- 1/2 c.unsalted butter (softened)
- 1c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. melty mints (divided)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and foil and grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the flour, mixing in three additions and mix in the salt and baking soda in between the flour additions, mixing until all is incorporated. 4. Using a large wooden spoon, mix in 1 cup of the melty mints.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan and press the remaining half cup of melty mints onto the top of the batter. Sprinkle nonpareils on top. (optional)
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing into 24 bars.
Renee is a high school history teacher and blogs with her husband and kids at Two in the Kitchen. Her blog is all about making family memories by cooking and baking together in the kitchen. Visit her blog and you will find tasty treats that are perfect for the holidays, savory grilled meats that are ideal for entertaining a crowd, and easy casserole dishes that will come together in a pinch on those busy week nights. Renee is from the Chicago area and enjoys reading, traveling, and of course, cooking up family memories in the kitchen. Check out her Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+
Bake up something sweet with these baking essentials!
- Cuisinart 77-17 Chef’s Classic Stainless 17-Piece Cookware Set
- Over and Bake 4-Piece Porcelain Serving Bowl Set
- Complete Elegant Regency Line 5-Piece Flatware Serving Set
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Wilton 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Artisan Non-Stick Silicon Baking Mat Set – 2 Pack
- The New York Baking Company: 24 Pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Set of 6 Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- Premium NonStick 21 Piece Baking Pans Bakeware Set with Ebook
- ChefLand 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton Mini Springform Pan – Set of 3
- Wilton Non Stick Springform Pan – 9 Inch
- Wilton Angles Icing Spatula, 13-Inch Black
- HIC Ceramic 13-Inch Lasagna Pan
- Libbey 6-Piece Just Baking Ceramic Oval Baker Set
Check out these other recipe features on Pretty My Party!
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes
- 10 Best Baileys Dessert Recipes
- Sprinkle Marshmallow S’mores
- Gluten Free Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 15 Fantastic Fudge Recipes