These Gluten Free Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes are the perfect little treat for Valentine’s Day!
These Gluten Free Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes won’t make you feel guilty for eating 2!
Mmmmm. Red Velvet… It’s February, so it’s the month of red everything, right? When I was younger, I’d say high school age, and I heard the name “Red Velvet,” I thought that it must be some super elegant dessert, served only for special occasions like weddings. Well, fast forward 20-something years, and with thanks to Pinterest, I’ve learned that it’s actually not only served at weddings – it’s served any time I want it to be 🙂
Like this month. For Valentine’s Day! And not just any ol’ red velvet recipe. This one is gluten-free! *happy dance*
No matter if you have Celiac disease or not, we can all agree that cutting out gluten can be good for us, and our bodies. Plus, when you want to make treats for the kids class party or the office potluck, you can rest assured knowing that nobody is going to get sick eating these!
One of my favorite red velvet recipes is cupcakes. I think it’s because I associate the cake with more formal functions, so I’d rather leave it to that. So instead, I love to make these, but this time, I thought I’d do something a little different. Something smaller…
Like these Gluten Free Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes. Because, mini just makes everything better, and just perfect for those counting calories (or not – in that case, they are cute and delicious and you want to eat 4 or 5 shamelessly).
Blend the cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until fluffy, gradually adding the confectioners’ sugar and blending until smooth. Place the frosting into a piping bag and poke a hole through the top of the cupcakes to fill the center a little, and then frost the tops.
Gluten Free Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 bottle Red Food Coloring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 box 16 ounces confectioners’ sugar (same as powdered)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine cocoa powder, cornstarch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat the granulated sugar and oil on medium until combined. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend well.
1 at a time, beat in the eggs.
In a third (small bowl), add the food coloring and vanilla into the buttermilk and stir until mixed well.
Add the buttermilk and sugar/oil/chocolate blend to the flour mixture that you had set aside on low (but do not over beat).
Using a small cookie scoop, fill each mini muffin up halfway and bake for 18 minutes.
Let cool completely and make the frosting.
I love all things food, which drove me to start a blog about it. My favorite thing to do is come up with new recipes, like my Cowboy Cornbread Meatloaf and Peppermint Oreo Lasagna. But what I especially love about food blogging is that I get to share “made-from-scratch” recipes that help people save money, instead of going out to eat. The average family spends about $35-$40 for a family of 5 at just one fast food place! Why pay that much when you can make a meal for less than $10 for 5 people? On Thrifty DIY Diva, you’ll find recipes for that everyone will love for any occasion! Blog // Facebook // Pinterest // Twitter
Bake up your favorite recipe and these yummy Gluten-Free Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes with these baking supplies:
Sign up for a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime and get free 2-day shipping on your baking products!
- Cuisinart 77-17 Chef’s Classic Stainless 17-Piece Cookware Set
- Over and Bake 4-Piece Porcelain Serving Bowl Set
- Complete Elegant Regency Line 5-Piece Flatware Serving Set
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Wilton 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Artisan Non-Stick Silicon Baking Mat Set – 2 Pack
- The New York Baking Company: 24 Pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Set of 6 Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- Premium NonStick 21 Piece Baking Pans Bakeware Set with Ebook
- ChefLand 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton Mini Springform Pan – Set of 3
- Wilton Non Stick Springform Pan – 9 Inch
- Wilton Angles Icing Spatula, 13-Inch Black
- HIC Ceramic 13-Inch Lasagna Pan
- Libbey 6-Piece Just Baking Ceramic Oval Baker Set
Check out these other dessert features on Pretty My Party:
- 25 Best Red Velvet Dessert Recipes
- 15 Heart-Inspired Desserts
- 15 Desserts to Win Over Any Crowd
- 15 Best Desserts In Cups