St. Patrick’s Day Mint Brookies
We’re so excited here at Pretty My Party to welcome our newest contributor Renee who blogs over at Two in the Kitchen. In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, she is sharing her heavenly Mint Brookies Recipe. Everyone will love these!
So, I don’t know about you but for me, whenever one holiday is over, I am always ready to move on to the next. And with Valentine’s Day behind us, I have the color green on my mind … for St. Patrick’s Day of course! And I’ll admit, because I can’t wait to see green grass again, what with all the snow we’ve had this winter.
St. Patrick’s Day is also when I’m finally craving mint again after the mint marathon of the Christmas season! My kids and I just had our first Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s of the season. They were impressed to hear that I used to have Shamrock Shakes when I was a kid! “Mommy, you mean Shamrock Shakes have been around THAT LONG!!” Yup, kids always make you feel great about your age don’t they!
So in honor of St. Paddy’s Day, I made brookies! You’ve had a brookie before right? It’s basically a cross between a brownie and a cookie. Brookies have been all over the blogosphere lately. Have you seen the amazing Red Velvet Brookies from Something Swanky? or how about these Thin Mint Girl Scout Brookies from Beyond Frosting? Both look heavenly!
For my brookies, I incorporated two of my favorite things: Mint Oreos and Dark Chocolate mint M+M’s. Not only are they perfect for St. Patrick’s Day with their gorgeous green color, but their subtle mint flavor pairs perfectly with the brownie base and cookie top! And they are just plain fun, which is perfect for kids! For an added bonus, this recipe is easy because it incorporates Ghirardelli brownie mix for the base. I am always looking for an excuse to use Ghirardelli mixes because they are so yummy and easy to use!
Get ready for St. Patrick’s Day by making these yummy mint brookies with your kids! A cross between a brownie and a cookie, these really are the best of both worlds!
St. Patrick’s Day Mint Brookies
- 1 Ghirardelli brownie box mix ( I used Chocolate supreme. But Double or Triple Chocolate would work well here as well!)
- ingredients for brownie mix as per instructions on the box
- 8-10 Mint Oreos
- 1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 c. plus 1 TBLS brown sugar
- 1/4 c. plus 1 TBLS granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. mini -chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. Dark Choclolate Mint Green M+M’s for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x 13 pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with baking spray.
- Make brownies according to package directions and pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Break up Oreos by hand and place them on top of the brownie layer. (See photo)
- In a medium bowl, Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, and two types of sugars until blended. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Add flour mixture in two or three additions and mix thoroughly until blended.
- Stir in mini- chocolate chips by hand. Mixture will be thick.
- Divide dough into several parts, flatten them by hand and lay them on top of the brownie and cookie layers in the pan and pat down slightly. (Cookie dough does not have to completely cover brownie and cookie layers). You can allow brownie and cookie pieces to “peek” through. (see photo)
- Press M+M’s into the top and place the pan in the oven and bake for approximately 28-36 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set and a toothpick comes out fairly clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes before cutting them into approximately 24 bars.
Renee is a high school history teacher and blogs with her husband and kids at Two in the Kitchen. Her blog is all about making family memories by cooking and baking together in the kitchen. Visit her blog and you will find tasty treats that are perfect for the holidays, savory grilled meats that are ideal for entertaining a crowd, and easy casserole dishes that will come together in a pinch on those busy week nights. Renee is from the Chicago area and enjoys reading, traveling, and of course, cooking up family memories in the kitchen. Check out her Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+
This feature contains affiliate links, Please see our full disclosure policy.
Get ready to bake up a storm with some of our favorite baking essentials:
Sign up for Amazon Prime and get FREE 2-day shipping on your baking products!
- Cuisinart 77-17 Chef’s Classic Stainless 17-Piece Cookware Set
- Over and Bake 4-Piece Porcelain Serving Bowl Set
- Complete Elegant Regency Line 5-Piece Flatware Serving Set
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Wilton 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Artisan Non-Stick Silicon Baking Mat Set – 2 Pack
- The New York Baking Company: 24 Pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Set of 6 Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- Premium NonStick 21 Piece Baking Pans Bakeware Set with Ebook
- ChefLand 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton Mini Springform Pan – Set of 3
- Wilton Non Stick Springform Pan – 9 Inch
- Wilton Angles Icing Spatula, 13-Inch Black
- HIC Ceramic 13-Inch Lasagna Pan
- Libbey 6-Piece Just Baking Ceramic Oval Baker Set
Check out these other features on Pretty My Party!
- 25 Free St. Patrick’s Day Printables
- 15 Lucky Charm Desserts
- 15 Must-Try Mint Dessert Recipes
- 10 Delicious Shamrock Shake Recipes
- Boozy Irish Trifle Recipe
Seriously mouthwatering! A must try indeed
I made these for my mint loving kids. Two thumbs up (really 6 thumbs from my munchkins)! I’d post the picture, but they were half eaten by the time I thought about photographing them.
Awesome! Thanks for stopping by Kristine!
Can you use premade choc chip cookie dough?