Halloween is one of our favorite holidays and making fun food art with my son is so much fun! California Ripe Olives are kid-friendly and the perfect option for creating tasty and creative food art for Halloween. I’m always so jealous of those photos on Pinterest of amazing food art. I’m definitely no food artist, but I am proud of our black olive spider! Check out our Halloween Spooky Spaghetti Recipe! My son loved it and your kids will too! It’s super easy and you don’t have to be an experienced food artist!
To make this fun, kid-friendly Halloween dish you will need:
- 2 cans of California Ripe Olives ( I used 1 medium and 1 extra large can)
- Long spaghetti
- Spaghetti sauce
- 2 plums
- Black gel coloring (or color you desire)
- Olive oil
- Candy eyes
- Mustard (optional)
To make this fun dish:
1. First cook the pasta over boiling water.
2. Once the pasta is tender, drain with a colander.
3. Once the pasta is drained, add a tbsp. of black gel coloring and a tbsp. of olive oil.
4. Keep adding the black gel coloring to get the pasta as dark as you want it. The olive oil helps coat the pasta with the coloring.
5. Add sauce to the top of your pasta and set to the side.
6. For the black olive spider, get 2 plums.
7. Start adding toothpicks for the eyes, mouth and legs.
8. Then start adding olives to the toothpicks.
9. Once you have the top part of the legs filled with olives, get a toothpick for each leg and add olives.
10. Once you have the second toothpicks, add olives to them and attach the bottom part of the spider’s leg to the upper part of the leg. This gives you the look of the bending leg effect. This part was tricky and make sure you have your spider where you want it to be because it will fall apart. I wanted to have a photo of the black olive spider by itself and also on top of the spooky spaghetti, so moving the spider was not easy!
11. Add the candy eyes to the olive eyes.
12. Add spots to the top of the spider with mustard, if desired.
That’s it … A Halloween Spooky Spaghetti that’s fun and easy! Happy Halloween!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.