Looking for something fun to do this weekend before the holiday?! Learn how to make your very own gingerbread sleigh! Georganne of LilaLoa is sharing her adorable gingerbread sleighs and tutorial.
In order to make these, you need the template. Get your free template here.
Set your margins at zero, make sure the paper is landscape and then paste the image. Use a non spreading gingerbread or sugar cookie recipe to make each piece. Bake the pieces a minute or two longer to make sure they are firm and not soft.
1. You can decorate them before you put them together, or put them together and let the kids help you decorate with icing and candy. Start out using red icing and a #3 tip. Make a swirl pattern along the top edge of both sides and the back/front of the sleigh.
2. Immediately cover with red sanding sugar and allow to dry before shaking off the excess sugar.
3. Use a #2 tip and thick gold-colored icing to pipe criss-crossing lines across the bottom of the sides and front and back pieces. Let the lines dry for an hour and then paint with gold airbrush color. Give the airbrush color an hour to dry before moving on.
4. With 20 second white icing and a #3 tip, fill in the diamonds. Use a toothpick to keep the edges clean. Let it dry for a couple of hours or overnight.
1. Make sure all of your pieces are dry before attempting to construct the sleighs. Use very thick icing and a #3 tip.
2. Pipe a thick line of icing along the side of the bottom piece.
3. Push one side piece down on top of the icing line. Hold in place for 15-20 seconds.
4. Repeat with the other side piece.
5. Add icing to the sides and bottom of the front and back pieces and squish them into place. If your icing is thick enough, you can do both of them at the same time. Use your hands to hold your sleigh together for another 30 seconds.
6. You will be tempted to rush this part … but trust me… let the sleigh sit there for 20 minutes to get really solid.
7. Unwrap two candy canes. Or as many as you need to unwrap until you find two that aren’t broken. Turn the sleigh upside down and pipe two parallel lines along the bottom of the sleigh near the edges.
8. Gently press the candy canes into the icing and let it dry for another 20 minutes before turning right side up and filling goodies!