Unexpected and Unique Valentine’s Day Inspired Baby Shower Gifts
Hello Everyone! Stefanie here from The Petite Soiree with a nice follow up to the Valentine’s Day inspired Baby Be Mine post we did a few weeks ago – to hopefully get you started on your gift planning for the shower.
Now that you have the décor and party planning all set, here are a few ways to make sure your gift is equally spectacular and in cue with the Valentine’s Day theme. These are also great suggestions to share with guests and family who might be asking you: What should I get them?!
Although I always recommend gifting from the mom’s designated baby gift registry, if you’re not too keen on giving the typical baby shower gift – here are a few ways to compliment or add an additional gift that can make your gift more thoughtful. It’s also not uncommon – for all of the gifts in the registry to be “taken up” especially if the guest list is large or many family members are attending.
Idea #1: Give a Gift That Shows How Much You Love Baby
When in doubt, stick to a gift that’s practical and useful for the baby – whether its something they can personally use, or something to beautify the nursery. The #1 priority of the shower is the baby.
1. Let Me Count the Ways, Me and Him Blog 2. Two Birds and a <3 Onesie, Eleventyfive 3. Ruffle Baby Legwarmers, Layla Grace 4. Counting Kisses by Karen Katz 5. Heart Mobile via One Thrifty Girl 6. Live Love Pillow by Anthropologie
(1) For instance, I absolutely love this hand-screened onesie with two adorable vintage birds for baby to sport under their ensemble or to lounge in at home.
(2) If you know mom is expecting a girl – give her these ruffled legwarmers perfect for winter weather, and to help ease the traction when baby begins crawling.
(3) Help stock the baby library with great and “loving” reads like Counting Kisses by Karen Katz and Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney, perfect for newborn and toddler story time.
Add a few books in different age ranges (newborn, toddler, preschooler) and the parents will appreciate that the nursery will be set with reads while baby grows.
(4) Make or give a lovely handmade mobile with sweet hanging hearts and neutral burlap – great with any theme.
(5) Help decorate rocking chair or seating area – with this lovely & uber chic, Live Love pillow. It’ll be beautiful in so many other places in the house long after baby has outgrown it.
Idea #2 : Give What You Know
If you’re an experienced mom gifting to a first time mom, share what you know with them and what you’ve learned in the process. There’s no price tag to this kind of insight and thought – since it really can’t be bought!
You can bundle up the things that would be useful in a “Hospital Survival Bag,” or “Newborn Baby Necessities Bag,” (make sure they are non standard items she might already be getting), but wish you would have had or received at your shower.
Idea #3: Give an Experience
Many parents are so wrapped up with preparing for the birth, going to their baby shower, prepping the nursery – and then utterly exhausted caring for a baby once they arrive – that they have little time to no time to prepare for things like the 1st family photo, or newborn photo session.
Help them avoid this mistake by giving them (or pitching in with others) on a family/ newborn photo shoot. Make sure to take cues from mom’s photography style (traditional vs photojournalistic for example) by seeing what kind of wedding and pregnancy pictures she took – and if possible hiring the same photographer to photograph the baby, if she was happy with them.
Put the gift certificate in a lovely card, and include a flash drive or link – to cute newborn/family poses that can help them start thinking of ideas for the shoot, and to share with their photographer.
So what do you think?
Would these gift ideas make you giddy with excitement if you were expecting?
Want to see more? Take a peek at our other V-Day gift ideas and party inspiration on Pinterest.
If you’ve given a unique and unexpected baby shower gift lately that had the mom-to-be beaming and raving with excitement – we want to hear it! Share it in the comments below.
With all my party love,
Stefanie Nieves is the owner & lead event designer of The Petite Soiree, an NJ boutique Event Design & Planning Co. specializing in Upscale Children’s Parties and Décor. When she’s not planning parties, you can find her blogging about event trends, party ideas, and unique ways to make children’s parties more stylish.
Connect with Stefanie: