Hi there, Renee from Two In the Kitchen here again with another fun St. Patrick’s Day dessert. This indulgence is definitely outside of my norm. I normally make sweet holiday desserts with kids in mind. But folks, this is not for the kids! With St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner, I thought I would branch out a bit and make a tasty treat that is meant for adults only. I mean after all, adults get to have a little bit of fun too right?! This Boozy Triple Irish Trifle Recipe will be a hit at your next girl’s night or St. Patrick’s Day party!
So with that said, this yummy trifle is inspired by a typical bar drink called an Irish Car Bomb. It’s basically a shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream mixed with Jameson Irish Whiskey dropped into a glass of Guinness beer and consumed quickly before the mixture begins to coagulate. Now mind you, I have never had an Irish Car Bomb myself. Mainly because I am not really into shots (I’m more of a wine girl and I am a really slow drinker.) Chugging drinks down does not really appeal to me. However, from what I understand from a group of friends of mine, the flavors of this drink mixed together is really quite amazing. So I made this trifle with the flavors in mind. I have to tell you that the result far exceeded my expectations!
So here’s how it works: The cake is a simple devil’s food box cake into which I added a cup of Guinness. After it baked, I cut the cake up into pieces and then poured more Guinness over it to soak into the cake. It is then layered with Bailey’s Irish Cream filling and drizzled throughout with Jameson caramel sauce. I really have to tell you that the flavors here are phenomenal! The Jameson caramel drizzle itself is so amazing that you have to make sure you have some in each and every bite! Of course, you can make this treat in a trifle bowl or individual clear plastic cups if you think it will be easier for your guests.
For St. Patrick’s Day, make up some of these delicious Mint Brookies for the kids. But for the adults, splurge a little on this fantastic Boozy Triple IrishTrifle! With the Guinness chocolate cake, the Bailey’s Irish Cream filling and the Jameson caramel drizzle, I think you and your guests will agree that this dessert really is “da bomb”!
Boozy Triple Irish Trifle
- 1 box of Devil’s Food Cake (I used Pillsbury)
- ingredients as per box instructions (except the water)
- 1 c. Guinness Beer plus more for drizzle
- 2 8 oz. bars of cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c. Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. cool whip
- 1 bag (27-29 pieces) of baking caramels (I used Werthers but Kraft would work fine as well)
- 6 TBSP Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Prepare cake according to package directions except substitute the water called for in the instructions with 1 cup of Guinness Beer. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the cream filling by placing the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and mixing until soft and creamy. Add the Bailey’s and the powdered sugar and mix until blended. Carefully fold in the cool whip by hand. Set aside.
- Make the caramel drizzle by placing the caramels unwrapped in a medium pan with 3 TBLSP of Jameson’s Irish Whiskey. Over low heat, whisk together until smooth. Add 2-3 more TBLSP of whiskey and whisk together until desired consistency and taste is achieved. Set aside.
- Cut up the cooled cake into pieces, place in a medium bowl and pour 1/4-1/2 cup of Guinness beer over the pieces and allow it to soak in for a few minutes.
- Assemble the trifle by using a medium trifle dish and covering the bottom with cake pieces. Next, add a layer of the cream filling and then drizzle with caramel sauce making particular attention to the sides of the dish so the layers all show. Continue the layers again and finish off with a cake layer on top and covering it with the remaining cool whip from the container. Save one piece of chocolate cake to crumble on the very top and finish it off with a caramel drizzle.
- Alternatively, you could layer individual clear plastic cups for a different type of presentation.
Get ready to bake up a storm with some of our favorite baking essentials:
- Cuisinart 77-17 Chef’s Classic Stainless 17-Piece Cookware Set
- Over and Bake 4-Piece Porcelain Serving Bowl Set
- Complete Elegant Regency Line 5-Piece Flatware Serving Set
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick 6-Piece Bakeware Set
- Wilton 3-Tier Cooling Rack
- Artisan Non-Stick Silicon Baking Mat Set – 2 Pack
- The New York Baking Company: 24 Pack Reusable Silicone Baking Cups / Cupcake Liners
- ChefLand Set of 6 Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- Premium NonStick 21 Piece Baking Pans Bakeware Set with Ebook
- ChefLand 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
- Wilton Mini Springform Pan – Set of 3
- Wilton Non Stick Springform Pan – 9 Inch
- Wilton Angles Icing Spatula, 13-Inch Black
- HIC Ceramic 13-Inch Lasagna Pan
- Libbey 6-Piece Just Baking Ceramic Oval Baker Set
Check out these other features on Pretty My Party!
- 25 Free St. Patrick’s Day Printables
- 15 Lucky Charm Desserts
- 15 Must-Try Mint Dessert Recipes
- 10 Delicious Shamrock Shake Recipes
Sign up and get your FREE ebook with bonus party planner! Learn 12 secrets to plan your child's next birthday party for UNDER $100!